Vosburg was founded in 1895 as a new Dutch Reformed Church parish and was named after the local Vos and Van Rensburg families who owned the farm Processfontein on which the village was built.
Two years later the village achieved municipal status. A system of leiwater was installed which channelled water via water channels alongside the network of roads onto the properties of the private residences laid out in the village, enabling the planting of trees and gardens.
The Dutch Reformed Church in Vosburg was consecrated in November 1909 by the Reverend J.D. Louw and it was designed by the architect W.H. Ford and constructed by Keating & Company.
The church is a landmark of the village and is one of the most pleasing designs of its time to be seen anywhere in the Karoo.